Living in a world with dementia is something we can no longer fret on. The irrationality, unpredictability, and strangeness of it all are something we need to give in for the sake of our loved ones. Dementia Care for the Elderly comes with its challenges, but as long as we remember, today it is them, and tomorrow it could be us. All we need is help and collaboration to deal with long-term care for the elderly with dementia that may be long-standing.
What is Senior Dementia Care?
Aging parents’ dementia is a common concern in every other household now. Still, equally comforting is that there are plenty of elderly and dementia care options available that include long-term stays and daycare for the elderly with dementia. Helping the senior members with the best memory to engage and enjoy life with all their dignity and self-respect intact is what senior Dementia care is.
Dementia is primarily an impairment of brain functions, such as loss of memory or lack of judgment, or cognitive abilities. Different elements of care have to come together in managing it as a way forward. While there is no cure, effective management can slow down growth. Along with the medical diagnosis, medicines in a warm, calm, and friendly environment are the key to keeping them engaged and happy. It is not always possible to offer round-the-clock home care for the elderly with dementia due to lack of time. Loneliness can cause more damage than we can imagine. It is best to scout for homes for the elderly with dementia or assisted facilities that are efficient in their services for the elderly with dementia.
8 Benefits of Nursing Home Care for the Elderly with Dementia
- Safety and security: Nursing homes or assisted living facilities have set safety and security standards, which is a priority in case of Dementia care for the elderly. A facility is monitored 24*7 through staff and surveillance cameras to prevent wandering offs or likely accidents.
- These facilities have trained staff to set up a standard routine, foresee aggression triggers, keep calm during mood swings, understand their needs, give them choices, etc.
- Medical Intervention: Any nursing home is medically equipped for senior care for dementia patients and has monitoring protocols, be it checking the vitals, administering timely medicines, and managing their minor illnesses.
- With more people around to observe and converse, keep them socially engaged. There are plenty of engagement activities appropriate to their likes and dislikes.
- Therapies are an option at such institutions, be it counseling, touch therapy, physiotherapy, spiritual talks, yoga, or anything that helps them to calm their nerves.
- The support staff is available to run errands, grocery purchases, pay off bills, run to doctors or temples, do personal grooming, etc.
- Families get regular updates on their well-being and routines through photographs, videos, medical reports, etc.
- The care routine is customized based on individuals and the level of dementia set in. The aim is to provide each one with the comfort of safety.
PapayaCare – Best for Dementia Care for the Elderly
Papaya Care is best suitable for Dementia senior care as they have expertise in the area.
- They bring the core team on board, like primary caregivers, nurses, family members, or doctors, and keep each other updated about all new developments. From their health to behaviors, every aspect gets discussed to reduce any gap in treatment management.
- Their team is capable and skilled in handling Dementia residents, be it their mood swings, forgetfulness, anger outbursts, disorientedness, etc. With them, dementia residents feel heard, seen, and understood. Even with bedridden and non-communicative ones, the staff constantly checks for hydration levels or bed sores and is well aware of the protocol, be it checking water temperatures, air conditioning, grooming, etc.
- It offers a safe, secure, and clutter-free zone with a set routine and pattern for the day for them. The surveillance cameras, security, and caregiving staff are all there to provide round-the-clock monitoring and prevent any wandering off.
- They maintain all their records, be it medicines, likes-dislikes, aggression triggers, past illnesses, or allergies enable a smooth transition.
- Regular doctor visits are conducted to check on their overall wellness and to track any new health issues.
With Dementia Care, all one needs is to infuse everyday life with more mindfulness and profound empathy toward the ones who are blissfully unaware of their struggles. Adaptive gestures, listening ears, and a caring attitude make a difference to dementia-stricken souls. You cannot back down, as it is a journey to offer ways to live life with dignity and self-worth. The condition needs time and full-time care-medical, emotional, physical, and environmental. An assisted living facility like Papaya Care will offer the above for your loved one.